In 1911 Lieutenant Colonel John MacRae-Gilstrap began the restoration of Eilean Donan Castle. Carrick may have been recommended through his work at St. Conan's Kirk and it may not be a coincidence that a long established minister at the Lochawe church during this period was a Rev. Farquhar MacRae.
Carrick was almost certainly responsible for all of the architectural features carved in Doddington stone in the castle, including the magnificent fireplace in the Great Hall. Anne Scott recalled that the Colonel used his influence in the army to grant Carrick special leave in 1916 to allow him to complete the carving of this fireplace before being posted to the Western Front.
Visit the Eilean Donan Website