By the 1930's the war memorial era was at an end and with the economic depression major construction work became scarce. Carrick's yard continued to find work however often carrying out repairs, maintenance and renovation works such as those at George Heriot's School. The King's Buildings were built as an extension to the Edinburgh University campus and in 1931 Carrick executed the beautifully conceived composition of the figurative relief 'Geology' sited above the doorway into the University's Geology department. The allegorical figure of 'Geology' is seated on slabs of sandstone, the rock which the building itself is constructed of, which at the same time look like books. He is studying the fossil of an ammonite in his left hands while the entire composition is neatly enclosed within a larger ammonite motif with his head nicely framed by the decorative moulding of the stone work. It is notable that the sections of the sculpture are perfectly aligned with the stonework of the building itself creating the appearance of the relief having been carved out of the face of the building and is an integral part of it, integrating the concept of geology, the building in which it is being studied, and the stone from which that building has been constructed, into a conceptual whole.
Carrick's Christ and the Woman of Samaria at the Well in the cloister of the Reid Memorial Church is not far from the King's Buildings, both being in the Newington District of Edinburgh.