A photograph from author's collection showing the memorial in the 1920's.
Just to the right of the tree can be seen a primitive standing stones set up by Campbell of Blythswood when the church was built. The design of the church incorporated an eclectic mix of styles associated with worship from the Romanesque and Gothic onwards. Here even the pagan was included in the form of this standing stone, although at the same time excluded by being sited outside the gates (the two larger widely spaced stones are the gates). The standing stone, which has since fallen down, may have been an inspiration for Carrick's scheme just as the glacial boulder was at Oban. At Killin, where there was no such stone, Carrick created them in the form of the post and lintel stone bench which surrounds the Killin monument like a megalithic circle.
(See Killin and Oban on following pages)